Hello Central School Families: Spring Health Items to Consider:
1) No flip flops or open toed shoes at school for safety reasons. Closed toe shoes are best for children.
2) Consider having your child dress in layers, temperatures are varying significantly. Also, please keep an extra set of clothes for your children in their backpacks if they are in PreK, K or 1st grade:-)
3) Lice are not uncommon for elementary school aged children, and it is a good habit to check your child’s hair frequently. Please let the school nurse know if lice are found, and I am happy to help. Resource: www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/headlice.htm
4) The day has come- we need sun protection! Please apply SPF 15 or 30 at home in the morning.
6) Ticks have arrived again! Please teach your children about full body checks at night before bed. The risk of lyme disease is greatly increased if the tick has been attached for 18- 24 hours, so the sooner it is found and removed, the better!
7) If severe sore throat, persistent malaise, and fever are persistent, have your child evaluated for strep throat.
The 5-2-1-0 Program encourages five fruits and vegetables, two hours or less of screen time, one hour of physical activity each day and zero sugary drinks.
Thank you for all that you do as parents to encourage healthy habits.
Laura Detwiler, RN
Central School Nurse