Girls Lacrosse Hawks Clamp Down Riots for Final Berth

EP-160619837-1 EP-160619837 AR-160619837

By Al Pike June 11. 2016


In Photo:  Marshwood’s Hannah Costin keeps possession of the ball despite being knocked down from behind by South Portland’s Ingrid Boyce during Class A South playoff action Saturday in South Berwick, Maine. Al Pike/

SOUTH BERWICK, Maine — Although the Marshwood High School girls lacrosse team has scored 29 goals in two playoff games, the program is built on defense.

In case anyone needed a reminder, the top-seeded Hawks supplied it Saturday with a convincing 14-3 win over No. 5 South Portland in the semifinals of the Class A South tournament.

The defending state champs advanced to the regional final where they will face the winner of Saturday night’s other semifinal between No. 2 Massabesic and No. 3 Thornton Academy.

Marshwood (12-1), which has won five straight following its lone loss to Class B power Kennebunk, will host the championship Wednesday at 4 p.m.

“Our kids were very tenacious on defense,” said Marshwood coach Bernie Marvin. “Every 50-50 ball felt like it was going our way.”

The Hawks scored the first eight goals of the game Saturday and led 9-1 at halftime. They held the Red Riots to two shots in the first half, and two of the visitors’ three goals were the result of free positions.

On offense the Hawks featured a balanced attack with five players scoring led by Hannah Costin, who finished with five goals and one assist. Luci Albers had three goals and two assists and Marin Smith added a hat trick.

“It was more of a game of want,” Albers said, “and we wanted it from the time we woke up. We were here at 7 a.m. ready to go.”

Abby Rowe scored twice and Zoe Janetos once. Reagan Nichols dished out three assists and Paige Singer had one. Half the Hawks’ goals were assisted.

The defense was stellar once again, anchored by senior co-captains Jenna Kashmer, Gabby Bazemore and Kathryn Fagan, and sophomore Chloe Shields. Skyler Amsden made six saves.

“They’re tough kids,” Marvin said. “They all have a job to do, and they all do their job. They back each other up and they talk. We pride ourselves on defense. There’s not a lot of glory to it, but it gets you into championship games.”

“There’s a reason why they don’t let a lot of balls in the net,” said South Portland coach Leslie Dyer. “They’re strong and aggressive on defense.”

Marshwood set the tone with four goals in less than five minutes early in the first half. The first two by Costin (from Albers) and Smith (unassisted) came just 32 seconds apart.

Albers and Costin struck 1:15 apart a little later to make 4-0 with 17:32 left in the first half.

“I think we did really well being patient with the ball,” Albers said, “and not forcing anything.”

“(Marvin) has some studs out there,” Dyer said. “We’re stick to stick with them and they’re still making catches.”

The Hawks kept up the pressure mindful of the fact that South Portland (8-6) rallied from a five-goal deficit last week and beat Gorham in double overtime to

Comments are closed.